Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Why...

Most photos shown here link to other posts that further illustrate my entry.

I started taking photos for all the wrong reasons (or I suppose, precisely at the time when I needed it most).  I was in a really negative thinking pattern, caught up in feelings of inadequacy and jealousy.  Full of resentment, discontent, and with an “I’ll show you” attitude, I picked up my camera and started a blog.  I see now, there is great healing power in art though, and she worked her magic, turning wrong into right, difficult to comfort, challenge to blessing.  By August of last year, things had begun to shift for me.
Old ways of thinking and being cracked and crumbled and fell away – some quietly and some not so.  By December, making pictures had become more of a way for me to make sense of things and shine my light into the world and less of a need to prove my worthiness.  This year, making pictures has become a powerful tool for coping and self-expression, throwing open the door to possibility, wonder, and joyfulness.

What I’ve noticed about why I make pictures:


I'm highly sensitive and easily (and often) overwhelmed.

Gerber Daisy at Hartford Hospital
Making pictures helps to break things down into more manageable bits.


Making pictures gives me a container to hold waves of emotion and sometimes grief.


Making pictures provides breadcrumbs to find my way away from depression.  I’m a baby-step sort of person, and find that first small step to be the hardest.
Loving This Place
When it feels like nothing is working, there’s too much to do, things start to whirl and swirl and I’m adrift, just doing one thing can help.  Often now, that one thing is taking a photo.  Making a picture anchors me.  It helps me be in the moment and to see that moment differently.  I am able to bring appreciation, gratitude, love, acceptance, and thankfulness into the moment, upping the happy and lowering the desire to depress.  Each day I make time for myself and this creative endeavor and these brief moments rain blessings on the rest of my day.
Holy Smokes, I love these people!


The daily practice piece, my 365 projects, has been transforming.
One example is my awareness that I tend toward wishing instead of doing and accepting.  Doing and accepting brings a whole lot more happiness than wishing things were better, different, more, less.  Blogging a photo each day has let me practice feeling alright with imperfection and letting go of needing things to be complete and better and the best.  Doing something imperfectly gets a whole lot more done than not doing anything because it can't be perfect.  Making pictures has given me a chance to make mistakes and completely suck and still be OK.  Remarkably, that makes my spirit soar.

Making pictures gives me a chance to shine beauty and light into the world. 
Fresh Air


Making pictures allows me to capture time, especially where my kids, family, and the changing seasons are concerned.
DSCF9142
I’m also able to fiddle with the concept of impermanence and letting go, with trust and a sense of it is going to be alright.

Making pictures allows me to tell a story, show a feeling, share it…name it.
Some Years: Black and White Hydrangea and a Ramble about 10 Years of Grief


Making pictures fans my still small (but ever growing) inner fire of creativity.  I can learn at my own pace, developing confidence as I go.
Moon School and I'm a photographer!
It insulates me from the outer critic and quiets the inner critic.  I'm healing past wounds my budding inner artist suffered.  I have permission to just go ahead and give it a try.
Apple Sweet Apple
The process of working with color, form, composition, storytelling, light, emotion, time, and setting is very powerful.  It is my art With it I can go deep or find lightness.


Making pictures has a social piece.  Sharing my photos in person, through my blog, on Flickr, Facebook and Twitter, provides me connection to others and some distance at the same time.  
The General's Fence 
It gives me a way to participate socially while honoring my challenges with vulnerability and commitment.  It can be scary and exhilarating to put myself “out there” in this way.  Photography is my path both in and out of that situation, and I get to decide which direction and when and how much.

On the Rail Trail in Southington, Connecticut
Making pictures allows me to work with the concept of validation, external and internal.  It gives me frequent practice coming face to face with my need for external validation and shows me that happiness and peace come from internal validation.
Sometimes external and internal combine and I make a photo that resonates deeply in me as well as others.  That can be a heady feeling.  However, making a photo that speaks to me, and no one else, is absolutely A-OK.  Making a photo and not sharing it with anyone else can be rewarding in its own powerful way.  It doesn't need to be seen to be real.
Silver Sands, Milford Connecticut


And, more and more, through making pictures I continue cultivating wonder and joyfulness.
DSCF6106

Talcott Mountain Music Fest

Sooo Big!

Echo Lake, Splash

DSC_5745

Wonder and joyfulness, joyfulness and wonder - coping, expression, focusing in, being in the moment, telling a story, getting lost in the flow of creativity, of capturing moments and light and beauty and finding the blessings in peace and in pain...that is why I make pictures.
DSC_6807-1

Blogged for the class: Finding Your Eye .

13 comments:

  1. Aimee, this post is an incredible, beautiful piece of art. Your images and words pair together perfectly. I can see and hear "you" in them. Your struggle, and your path to peace through photography. I am incredibly honored and inspired to read this. I am so happy that you have shared this with us, and I look forward to learning more about you on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! What a beautiful and honest post! I, too, feel honored that you shared this with us -- and inspired. We all fight our own battles but it's nice to know that others are there with us.

    I love the color and joy in your pictures -- and the last one is so nicely processed! Such a lovely vintage feel. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inspiring post! After reading this, I realize that photography is depression 'medicine' for me as well. It brings me joy, and makes me live in the moment. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written and moving post. I'm so glad you are in the class; I look forward to seeing more from you. You have a great series of photos here, but I have to say I love the frog peeking out of the hand -- what an iconic childhood image!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing a bit of your journey...through your moving words and lovely photos. You have caused me to think deeper still into why I love photography and what it does for me. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an expressive essay! I love your images accompanied by your candid inner thoughts. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aimee, this is incredible. I am so touched and inspired by your words and your pictures. There are so many people who could benefit from seeing what you just shared with us. You are truly a gifted artist and I am so glad to be able to share this class with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to pop on and say thank you for the wonderful feedback on my post!!! It is so very much appreciated ;-) So happy to be learning with all of you wonderful folks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aimee wonderful wonderful, i love your thoughts and your photographs, the man walking out the gate the last one is brilliant, I love photos of people going away, it makes me wonder where, why all that stuff, great. happy shots too they are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kim, that man is my husband, so I really love it ;-) I was so happy to have caught this moment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post and so many things that are exactly how I feel about photography. I love when you say that making a picture give you change to name a feeling.
    We will have a great journey on "finding your eye"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You have such a way with words. The way you describe it... amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting - I really appreciate the feedback!